Wednesday, August 8, 2012

First Day

So much for the dog days of summer.  School officially started yesterday.

Alarms were set according to the normal school day schedule and my daughter (The Jedi's Sis) was up at 6:30.  She needs a few minutes (more like 30) to get going in the morning and does not like to talk for awhile.  I was finishing up a Body Pump DVD in the family room when she came to ask me to pour some milk for her.  I went into the kitchen to help her out and noticed she had a gigantic bowl of Ezekiel cereal.  Just out of curiosity, I pulled out a measuring cup to see exactly how much this little girl had poured.  It ended up being 3 servings!  She is not a big eater and is generally a picky one too.  I just think she was a little delirious.  In her zombie-like state she watched me give her a new, more reasonable serving, pour her milk and then she stood at the counter and ate it.  Again, that's a little strange, but she was a little out of it.

In contrast, the home school Jedi came bounding out of his room dressed and ready to be the leader of the free world.  He was blabbing up a storm, as usual, and had devoured his breakfast in 60 seconds flat.  Before I was even out of the shower at 7:15 he was 1/2 way through his math assignment.  At that point I was thinking this home schooling thing is too good to be true.

By 7:30 I had both kids out front posing on the front stoop for the traditional "first day of school" cheesy pic.  Usually I get choked up at this site, but it was rainy, my weeds were overgrown (it was like I had just noticed how bad my yard looked!) and they were bickering over whether or not the Jedi should be in the picture because he wasn't technically going to school.

Nevertheless, the little one was whizzed off to school by her Daddy (The Jedi Master) and I was left at home with the Jedi.  He finished his math, I painted the barn (put some make-up on) and soon the two of us were out of the house and on the way to work. (I'm so thankful that I can bring him along to work with me!)

For the next 2 hours, the Jedi did his assignments and then I dragged him to a meeting with me.  Ordinarily, I wouldn't bring him into a meeting full of adults, but yesterday was different.  I had been given the opportunity to speak and I wanted the Jedi to hear it.  I may post on the speech another day, but basically it was, "Are You an Effective Leader?"  Our home school it titled The Academy for Arts and Leadership and I feel it is so important for students to learn leadership.  We are raising up a future generation of leaders here and I plan on seizing any opportunity I can get for both of us to learn about leadership!

The Jedi finished his school work in my office and we were home in time to retrieve my daughter at the bus stop.  All in all, I'd have to say it was a fun and unique first day of school.  By no means do I have a grasp on what is to come, but God is so gracious and gave us both a great start!

As I went to bed (early) that night, I couldn't help but praise God!  We did it!  One down...179 to go!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading our blog. We don't pretend to do everything right, but we hope to glorify God in all we do! God bless you!