Sunday, August 26, 2012

A week in review

I didn't have much time to write last week what with having a 15 page paper due and all of the activities the kids are involved with back in full swing.  Fortunately, my paper and coordinating PowerPoint presentation have been submitted and I have completed Strategic HR Management!  It was by far the most labor intensive class I have taken in pursuit of my masters.  While I learned an enormous amount and had ample opportunities to put my learning into practice through 16 papers, I am exhausted!  Yet, no rest for the weary!  Today I begin my final class for my degree.  It's my Capstone course where I apply everything I've learned in the last 18 months towards a massive project.  I just don't know how I'm going to do this, but I'm encouraged that I don't have to do it all on my own:



I've been clinging to Philippians 4:13 and many others for the last 18 months.  God knew I'd be taking this class at precisely this time...even while homeschooling the Jedi.  Praise God He's in control!

Last week I set some ambitious goals for the Jedi and told him that if he finished all of his assignments by noon on Friday we could watch Red Tales, the movie about the Tuskegee Airmen.

He met his goal and we enjoyed watching Red Tails during the middle of the day.  It felt really weird, but it's one of the wonderful things I enjoy about homeschooling.

On top of the Jedi's regular work he also began his science lab class at the local university.  We are really excited the university is offering this class because its an opportunity for their science education majors to practice teaching and for our local homeschool students to participate in lab projects.  When I was selecting curriculum this summer I was completely intimidated by the science material.  Not only is science not my specialty, but lab equipment is expensive!  Thanks to some experienced local homeschool moms, this lab class started last week and is already off to a great start.  It looks like the Jedi will be participating in a science fair this year so he should be blabbing about that soon.

Another exciting thing happened in our home this week.  The Jedi is an avid thespian and attends an amazing theatre academy year round held by the official State Theatre of Georgia.  He has been blessed with the opportunity to hone his skills in improve, classical & contemporary scene study, musical theatre, puppetry, and this fall he will begin stilt walking and parkour.

When the Jedi was invited to audition for the next children's theatre production, he jumped at the opportunity!  There is no place on earth this kid would rather be than on a stage.  He was born for it.  I can say that because I'm a completely biased mother.  On Monday evening he attended the cast call where over 60 students from 4th-7th grade anxiously were hoping for a role in the show.  I love the Jedi's mindset as he always goes into these auditions with a serious attitude, but with the understanding that it is okay if he doesn't get a role and will gladly enjoy attending the performance and seeing his friends on stage.  In the Jedi's eyes, he's just happy to get to spend 2+ hours in the theatre regardless of whether or not he is cast in the show.

On the other hand, I am a nervous wreck every time he has an audition.  I'm praying God's favor over him and asking God to give the Jedi what is best for him.  I'm always torn between really wanting him to get a part and preparing him for what will happen if he is rejected.  At the same time, I never want to impress a lack of faith on him because I want him to believe God for big things.

Imagine my heartbreak when he called on his way home from the audition with my husband and is talking in a serious, downcast voice.  Immediately I say, "How was the audition, Buddy?"  He says, "It was okay Mommy."  When I asked what happened he shouts, "I got in the show!"  That little turkey.  I was already in tears...I guess he is a pretty good little actor.

So, our next month or so will be spent with every other day at the theatre and 9 glorious shows where I will enjoy watching the Jedi do what he loves most, performing on stage.  I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading our blog. We don't pretend to do everything right, but we hope to glorify God in all we do! God bless you!